Are you a business owner looking to improve your online presence and reach more customers? If so, you may want to consider setting up a Google My Business Profile (GMP) profile. GMB is a free tool offered by Google that can help you improve and manage your online presence. To get to know more about this tool, keep reading and learn the benefits and the importance of GMP.
What Is Google My Business Profile?
Google My Business Profile is a free tool provided by Google that lets businesses manage their online presence on Google Search and Maps. The tool used to be called Google My Business, but its official name is now Google My Business Profile (GBP).
With Google My Business Profile, local businesses can create and manage their listing on Google, including the information that appears in the search results and on Google Maps. The businesses in question are mostly brick-and-mortar stores, multi-location businesses, and service businesses operating in a specific local area.
Using GBP, businesses can provide important information such as their address, phone number, hours of operation, and other details to help customers find and contact them. They can also add photos and videos, respond to reviews, and track the performance of their listing on Google.
How to Verify Your Business on GBP
To verify a business on Google My Business Profile (GMP) for the first time, you will need to have a Google account and be the owner, manager or authorized representative of the business. If you meet these requirements, you can follow these steps to verify your website on GMP.
1. Add or Claim Your Business Profile on Google
Firstly, you should add your business profile on Google. You can do this through Google Maps. Simply enter your business name in the search bar, click the name and choose the correct one. Then, click ‘’Claim the business’’ > ‘’Manage now’’. Next, choose the verification option and follow the next steps.
2. Verify It (Phone, Text, Email, or Video)
Sign in to your Google My Business Profile account and select the business you want to verify. You can verify your business through phone, text, email, or video. Sometimes, you might need to verify the business with more than one method. Google will then send a verification code to the email address associated with the business.
3. Wait for the Verification
Check your email and retrieve the verification code. Keep in mind that getting verification from Google can take up to seven business days. That is because they need to review the verification and ensure the integrity of your profile. Once you get verified, you’ll get a notification.
Then enter it in the ‘’Verification code’’ field on the GMP website. Click on the ‘’Verify’’ button to complete the verification process.
If Google can’t verify your profile with the method you chose, you’ll see the ‘’Get verified’’ button again, and you can try with a different verification method.
4. Update the Info on Your Profile
After the verification, it can take a few weeks until your business information is shown on Google.
Once verified, you can manually update or add business information at any time when needed.
Once your business has been verified on GMP, it will be linked to your business listing on Google. This will allow customers to access your website directly from your business listing on Google Search and Maps.
What Information Can I Put in Google My Business Profile?
You can put a variety of information on your Google My Business Profile (GMP) listing, including:
- Business name: This is the name of your business as it appears on your storefront, website, and other marketing materials.
- Business category: This is the category or categories that best describe your business. For example, a restaurant might choose the category “Restaurant” or “Italian restaurant.”
- Business services: You may get an option of adding the services you offer, their prices, and descriptions.
- Address: This is the physical location of your business. You can choose to display your exact address or just the city and state.
- Phone number: This is the phone number that customers can use to contact your business.
- Website: This is the URL of your business’s website. If you have a verified business on GMP, customers can contact you directly in the search results.
- Hours of operation: This is the time that your business is open each day. You can specify the hours for each day of the week, as well as any special hours for holidays or other events.
- Photos and videos: You can add photos and videos of your business, its products or services, and its staff to your GMP listing. These can help customers get a better understanding of your business and what it offers.
- Reviews: You can respond to reviews left by customers on your GMP listing. This can help you to address any concerns or issues that customers may have and improve the overall customer experience.
- Posts: You can create and share announcements, special offers, new or popular products, or event details directly with your customers.
You can put a wide range of information on your GMP listing to help customers find and contact your business and to give them a better understanding of what you offer.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Google My Business Profile?
There are several benefits to having a Google My Business Profile (GMP) listing, including:
- Improved visibility on Google Search and Maps: When customers search for businesses like yours on Google, your listing will appear in the search results, making it more likely that they will find and contact you.
- Accurate and up-to-date information about your business: Providing information such as your address, phone number, and hours of operation can help customers to find and contact you more easily and improve their overall experience with your business.
- Customer reviews and ratings: Customers can leave reviews and ratings on your GMP listing, which can help other customers learn more about your business. You can also respond to reviews on your GMP listing to address any concerns or issues customers may face.
- Insights and analytics: GMP provides insights and analytics about your listing, such as the number of views and clicks on your listing, the number of calls and directions requests, and the keywords that customers use to find your business. This can help you understand how customers are finding and interacting with your business and can inform your marketing and business strategies.
How to Gain a Positive Reputation in Google My Business Profile?
To gain a positive reputation on Google My Business Profile (GMP), there are several steps that a business can take:
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information
- Respond to customer reviews
- Encourage customers to leave reviews
- Monitor your performance of the GMP listing using the insights and analytics
- Use the GMP listing to provide regular updates about the business, such as new products or services, special offers, and events.
Why Is It Important for the Business to Have a Positive Reputation in the GMP?
A positive reputation on GMP can improve the visibility of the business’s listing on Google Search and Maps and make it more likely that customers will find and contact the business.
It can also improve the credibility of the business in the eyes of customers. When customers see that a business has a high rating and many positive reviews on GMP, it increases their confidence in the business and makes them more likely to use its products or services.
Overall, having a positive reputation on GMP is important for the visibility, credibility, and performance of a business on Google. It can help the business to connect with customers, improve its reputation, and gain valuable insights and analytics.